The facility combines the latest in technological advances for training athletes and rehabilitation of orthopedic patients
Palmetto Health-USC Orthopedic Center has opened its 31,000 square foot Apex Athletic Performance and Palmetto Health-USC Orthopedic Center rehabilitation facility. The new facility combines the latest in technological advances for training athletes and rehabilitation of orthopedic patients into a comprehensive facility. The two-story facility, located at 102 Saluda Pointe Dr., Lexington, South Carolina, offers orthopedic physical and occupational therapy, wellness programs, including MedFit12, nutrition services and sports performance testing and training. Apex Athletic Performance also has another location at 903 Huger St. in Columbia.
Wendell Holmes, MD, orthopedic surgeon with Palmetto Health-USC Orthopedic Center, said, “We are privileged and honored to be able to continue the legacy of excellence that was created by those who came before us. Our focus in the new facility is rehabilitation, physical therapy and sports performance. We have a program for just about any orthopedic problem that a community member could have including spine, disk and hand injuries, cerebral palsy, scoliosis or even falling off the monkey bars. We are here to help our community have the quality of life they deserve.”
Holmes added, “One of the unique features of this building is our biomechanics lab. It has high-speed video equipment that we can use to analyze any movement. We can use it for treatment of medical conditions like cerebral palsy or in analyzing an athlete. Having these kinds of special tools to complement our expert staff is a great benefit to our community.”
Features of the new facility include:
- The only sports science lab in South Carolina with the ability to test for anaerobic capacity (VO2 max) and evaluate most sport related movements including the ability to analyze an athlete’s golf swing, pitching, batting and other sport-specific movements.
- It is equipped with largest public use Hydroworx® treadmill pool for aquatic therapy complete with a moveable floor for variable water depths, as well as hot and cold plunge pools. It will be used with all age groups for low-impact simulation of land-based walking, running or sport-specific activities. It aids in recovery by allowing a fuller range of motion at an earlier stage during rehabilitation.
- The facility houses the only public 3D motion analysis center in the state.
- It is the only all-inclusive center in the state to analyze biomechanics, physiology and mental performance. These kinds of services are usually only available to collegiate and professional team athletes.
- It features a 40 x 25-yard outdoor turf field with an observation deck for injury recovery and sports performance training.
- There is a nutrition classroom available for cooking demonstrations to educate the community on healthy eating habits.
For more information about Palmetto Health-USC Orthopedic Center, visit PHUSCOrthoCenter.org or call 803-296-7846. For more information about Apex Athletic Performance, visit ApexAthletics.com or call 803-296-9202.