About our practice
At Senior Primary Care, our team provides compassionate care for older adults with the sensitivity and dignity that they deserve. We offer two convenient locations, in downtown and northwest Columbia, and are the largest geriatrics practice in the state. Our physicians, nurse practitioners, nurses and social workers address the complex needs of older patients with team-based care while helping them maximize their independence and health. We have been operating since 1997 and serve Columbia, Irmo, Lexington and the greater Midlands of South Carolina.
Our commitment and dedication to providing excellent care has earned us Level III Accreditation, the highest level attainable, which sets us apart as a center of excellence at national, state and local levels. We also are recognized as a Patient-Centered Medical Home, which is a health care setting emphasizing partnerships between patients and their personal physicians, and their families, when appropriate.
We offer patient-focused service based on your choices and preferences. When you visit our practice, you will meet with your dedicated social worker right away to determine any concerns or issues with your health care. You'll then meet with your physician for a thorough medical assessment to identify ways to meet your needs.
Whether it is a concern about an ache or pain or newly diagnosed chronic illness, we are committed to being invested in your health.
Geriatric medicine experience matters
Geriatric medicine is its own specialty. Our physicians are trained in internal medicine or family practice prior to completing their fellowship in geriatrics. We have board certified geriatricians who serve as primary care doctors for older patients as well as serve as consultants to other physicians and hospital programs that work with the elderly.
We treat persons age 65 and older, providing both primary care and specialty referral-based care for healthy to chronically ill patients. We are experts at managing multiple medications, multiple chronic conditions and complex care needs. We take care of healthy, older, physically active persons and those living in assisted living facilities, but do not provide care for older persons living in nursing homes or other institutional care at this time.
In addition to primary care, we provide:
Learn more about our full range of Palmetto Health Geriatric Services here.
- Driving Rehabilitation Program – learn more here
- Geriatric psychiatry – we have on-site services of a certified geriatric psychiatrist and geriatric psychotherapy/counseling and neuropsychological testing is also available
- Acute care of the elderly unit – for patients needing hospitalization, we offer a fully equipped, modern care unit with specialized staff at Palmetto Health Richland
- Surgical co-management services – on a referral basis, we work to optimize the care of older adults with complex medical needs who are undergoing orthopedic or other surgical procedures
- Memory care services – comprehensive assessment, treatment and life planning for all stages of memory care, from early onset to advanced Alzheimer’s Disease and related dementias
- Home visit program – physician or nurse practitioner visit services for homebound patients in Richland and Lexington counties for eligible patients
About Palmetto Health-USC Medical Group
We are proud to be part of Palmetto Health-USC Medical Group, which includes caring, compassionate health care professionals who are highly trained to meet your medical needs in Columbia, Lexington and across the greater Midlands region of South Carolina.
Providing excellent medical care in comfortable office environments, our network team of physicians, advanced care providers, nurses and staff is prepared to answer any questions you have. We provide comprehensive medical care for short-term needs like annual physicals as well as ongoing management of chronic diseases. Prevention is a big part of your overall care plan. Should additional, focused medical treatment ever be needed, our doctors will refer you to a specialist and stay involved in your care. Only at Palmetto Health-USC Medical Group will you find the extensive level of expertise available from a wide variety of specialists.