Expert care in pulmonary hypertension
The Pulmonary Hypertension Program at Palmetto Health-USC Medical Group is the first and only of its kind in the Midlands offering specialized care in pulmonary hypertension.
Pulmonary hypertension encompasses a group of diseases that affect the lung vessels and leads to right-sided heart failure. Left untreated or undertreated, the condition can lead to death. Advances in the field of pulmonary vascular disease and new therapies offer hope for better outcomes. These treatments are complex and require the guidance of a highly trained provider to be effective and safe.
About our program
The Pulmonary Hypertension Program was established and is led by Karla J. Cruz Morel, MD. Fellowship trained in pulmonary vascular disease at Stanford University, Dr. Cruz Morel works with her care team to offer patients a comprehensive evaluation including right-side heart catheterizations as well as providing advanced therapy such as parenteral prostacyclin. We operate out of the Medical Group’s Pulmonary, Critical Care and Sleep Medicine practice.
What patients should be evaluated further?
- Patients with dyspnea (shortness of breath) of unclear etiology.
- Patients with abnormal echocardiogram suggestive of elevated right-side pressures.
- Patients with history of pulmonary embolism, congenital heart disease, drug use (methamphetamines, anorexigens), connective tissue diseases, portal hypertension, HIV,etc.
- Patients with pulmonary hypertension on oral therapy who may benefit from advance parenteral therapy.
Other conditions we manage
- Pulmonary arteriovenous malformations (AVMs) and hypoxia.
- Hereditary hemorrhagic telangiectasia.
- Persistent dyspnea after a pulmonary embolism.
Karla J. Cruz Morel, MD
Lindsay Corley, RN
Send through Referral Management in OneChart, or fax to 803-933-3024.
For either referral method, please specify that it is for evaluation of pulmonary hypertension. If a patient needs to be seen sooner, contact program coordinator Lindsay Corley at 803-545-5518.