An unmatched legacy of clinical expertise
In 2016, two legacy orthopedic groups merged to offer the best services possible for our growing patient population. Moore Orthopedic Clinic and USC Orthopaedics joined and became Palmetto Health-USC Orthopedic Center.
Together, we create a clinical expertise that is unmatched for patient-centered care, innovation, education and research.
History of Moore Orthopedic Clinic
In 1928, Dr. Austin T. Moore began his pioneering approach to orthopedics and opened the Moore Orthopedic Clinic on Gervais St. in downtown Columbia, South Carolina.Orthopedic history changed forever in 1940 after Dr. Moore used a hip prosthesis that he designed to perform the first hip replacement surgery.
For the next 80 years, the Moore Orthopedic physicians continued that same trend of excellence exhibited by its founder by helping patients become new again.
History of USC Orthopaedics
In 1977, the first class of students were accepted into the University of South Carolina School of Medicine. Four years later, Dr. Edward Kimbrough III, previously with the Moore Orthopedic Clinic, founded the USC School of Medicine Department of Orthopaedics.
Since its inception, the program has trained 85 surgeons, many of whom practice in the greater Midlands region. USC Orthopaedics physicians have served as the official team physicians for all University of South Carolina athletic programs.